The program is 100% online and does meet the Arkansas established guidelines for an
online program. The MAT program prepares teachers to work with students in a K-12
school setting. Working with students is a complex, rich, and rewarding experience
that requires human interaction.
- How do I apply? What are the requirements for acceptance into the program?
Please visit the MAT Admission Requirements page on our website.
- When can I enter the program?
Candidates are accepted in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- Is there a minimum GPA to be accepted into the MAT program?
Yes. The MAT program requires a 2.7 cumulative GPA or a 3.0 in the last 60 hours of
your coursework. If you do not meet the GPA requirements there could be other options
for you. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator for that information.
- What options do I have for licensure in the program?
You may choose one of the following options for licensure:
- Elementary (K-6)
- Middle Childhood (grades 4-8) - it is possible to license in up to 4 content areas
(math, science, English, and social studies). You must pass the Praxis test for at
least 2 of these 4 areas.
- Secondary (grades 7-12) - The options for secondary licensure include areas like English,
Business, Social Studies, Math, Life Science, Physical Science and so forth.
- Special Education (K-12)
- K-12 Art, Music, Physical Education, and Foreign Language
- What is a provisional license?
A provisional license is a teaching license that allows you to be hired as and work
as a teacher in Arkansas while you are still in the MAT program and completing the
MAT program requirements. For information on the Provisional license, see the Provisional Licensure page on our website.
- Does the UAM School of Education find a job for me?
No. The School of Education will send your name and contact information to area schools
and will provide you with information about job opening as the schools notify us.
For additional information on securing a teaching position, see the Steps to Securing
a Teaching Position page on our website.
- How much will the MAT program cost?
For the most up-to-date information on tuition and fees, please see the Schedule of Fees.
- Will this program license me in states other than Arkansas?
No. Every state controls their own licensing requirements. However, once you have
a license in Arkansas, you can apply for reciprocity to other states for a transfer
of your license.