MAT Program Information

Master of Arts in Teaching Program

The Master of Arts in Teaching program prepares highly qualified career changing professionals and recent graduates of higher education to be Arkansas classroom teachers. 

The MAT graduate degree program is:

  • Designed for individuals without teaching credentials but who have successfully completed a baccalaureate degree and wish to become a teacher in an expeditious fashion.
  • Intended to assist potential teachers, those having a baccalaureate degree in a content area, to become practicing educators.
  • A 30 hour graduate degree program with three tracks: K-6 Elementary, 4-8 Middle Level and Secondary/K–12.

The Graduate Coordinator’s office is located in Willard Hall room 107.  From 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM Monday through Friday and summer hours which are 7:00 AM until 5:30 PM Monday through Thursday, someone will be available to answer your questions.  We look forward to meeting you. PLEASE NOTE: While we welcome drop-in visitors, we cannot always guarantee the Graduate Coordinator will be available to answer your questions on short notice. Faculty have many responsibilities that take them out of the office for meetings, school visits, etc. 

Provisional license may be available to MAT program candidates who complete a few additional criteria and secure a teaching position in an accredited public, private, or charter school.

 Steps to Securing a Teaching License through the MAT Program

 Provisional Licensure Forms

Additional Resources

Arkansas IDEAS Portal

Registration process and training information for professional development needed prior to receiving a provisional licensure.

Mandatory Reporting Training

The Arkansas Department of Education now requires all applicants for an Arkansas teaching license to complete training on the state's mandatory reporting laws.  Teachers are mandated by law to report any suspicion of child maltreatment. Know your responsibility.  To access this training, go to and click on "Pre-licensed Educators" to register for the training. NOTE:  Upon completing the training, print the certificate as evidence of your completion.

Youth Suicide Prevention Training

The Arkansas Department of Education now requires all applicants for an Arkansas teaching license to complete training on youth suicide prevention.  Know your responsibility.  To access this training, go to and click on "Pre-licensed Educators" to register for the training. NOTE:  Upon completing the training, print the certificate as evidence of your completion.

Searching for a Job?
Search the Arkansas Association of Educational Administrators database of job openings at the following URL,

Always check the Educational Testing Services (ETS) website for the most current information on required Praxis exams. For specific Arkansas Praxis testing requirements and minimum scores, click on the following URL,

Praxis II content exam(s)

  • Depending on your intended area of licensure, this requirement may include multiple exams
  • Submit passing scores prior to applying for prior to internship.
  • Always check the Arkansas requirements in the Praxis website for the most up to date test information

 Praxis Support

The Praxis website also offers test preparation webinars.

  • Submit passing Praxis II score(s) in your content area to the Graduate Coordinator. Visit for information about Praxis II exam requirements for Arkansas.
  • Complete the FBI/Arkansas State Police background check and the Arkansas Child Maltreatment Central Registry release form. These forms are available at the Graduate Coordinator. Background checks must be less than one year old at the time of licensure application. Submit these documents with your payment by following the directions on the forms.
  • Complete the following Arkansas IDEAS mandatory professional development workshops: 1) Suspicion of Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter and 2) Youth Suicide Prevention (see separate document titled “Arkansas IDEAS” for steps for completing training)

Once the above documents have been submitted, you will receive a letter from the Graduate Coordinator that indicates you are eligible for a provisional license, pending a district’s offer to hire you. NOTE: A school district must agree to hire you before you can actually receive a provisional license. School districts understand this requirement. Once a school district hires you, you must complete the appropriate paperwork as follows: 

  • Present the letter of hire provided by the Graduate Coordinator to the district that is hiring you to be signed. Return the signed form to the Graduate Coordinator.

Once all of these required materials are submitted, the Graduate Coordinator will forward this information to the Office of Licensure at the Arkansas Department of Education. Your provisional license should be mailed in three to six weeks.

  • Is the program online?

The program is 100% online and does meet the Arkansas established guidelines for an online program. The MAT program prepares teachers to work with students in a K-12 school setting. Working with students is a complex, rich, and rewarding experience that requires human interaction.  

  • How do I apply? What are the requirements for acceptance into the program?

Please visit the MAT Admission Requirements page on our website. 

  • When can I enter the program?

Candidates are accepted in the fall, spring, and summer semesters. 

  • Is there a minimum GPA to be accepted into the MAT program?

Yes. The MAT program requires a 2.7 cumulative GPA or a 3.0 in the last 60 hours of your coursework. If you do not meet the GPA requirements there could be other options for you. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator for that information.  

  • What options do I have for licensure in the program?

You may choose one of the following options for licensure:

  1. Elementary (K-6)
  2. Middle Childhood (grades 4-8) - it is possible to license in up to 4 content areas (math, science, English, and social studies). You must pass the Praxis test for at least 2 of these 4 areas.
  3. Secondary (grades 7-12) - The options for secondary licensure include areas like English, Business, Social Studies, Math, Life Science, Physical Science and so forth.
  4. Special Education (K-12)
  5. K-12 Art, Music, Physical Education, and Foreign Language
  • What is a provisional license?

A provisional license is a teaching license that allows you to be hired as and work as a teacher in Arkansas while you are still in the MAT program and completing the MAT program requirements. For information on the Provisional license, see the Provisional Licensure page on our website. 

  • Does the UAM School of Education find a job for me?

No. The School of Education will send your name and contact information to area schools and will provide you with information about job opening as the schools notify us. For additional information on securing a teaching position, see the Steps to Securing a Teaching Position page on our website. 

  • How much will the MAT program cost?

For the most up-to-date information on tuition and fees, please see the Schedule of Fees.

  • Will this program license me in states other than Arkansas?

No. Every state controls their own licensing requirements. However, once you have a license in Arkansas, you can apply for reciprocity to other states for a transfer of your license.



Dr.Judy Hubbell

Program Manager:

Kimberly Johnson

Program Administrative Assistant:

Christi Martin

Campus Life